Monday, March 17, 2014

Trillium

I love to eat.  I especially love to eat grilled cheese, and I get them pretty regularly from Trillium, my favorite eatery on campus.


In fact, I have been getting them so often for the last two years that the chef recognizes me and makes my grilled cheese before I even ask ;)

But besides its delicious grilled cheeses, Trillium offers a wide arrange of recycling and composting options that make it a very green place on campus.  Additionally, most of the products it sells are packaged in recyclable containers rather than plastic, and all of the silverware and plates are algae-based and thus compostable.  



When a customer is finished eating, they bring their trash to a line of bins that say either "Landfill Waste," "Recycling," or "Composting" above them.  Each of these signs has pictures of items that can be purchased at Trillium above the appropriate disposal bin.

The concessions choice to use language like "landfill" instead of "trash" was a great decision on the part of the people who installed this disposal sorting arrangement.  Knowing that one's trash goes to a landfill helps instill a sense of responsibility on the part of the consumer.

"Materials trucked forty miles to a waste facility where they could remain for thousands of years."

So Trillium, along with being my favorite spot for lunch, is also great in that it supports local efforts to compost and recycle all that we can!



No comments:

Post a Comment